Creating a new Opportunity Wiki
If you have taken it up on yourself to create the wiki page for an opportunity, then you're in for some fun! This wiki page details how you can go about it in detail.
Understanding the elements of our Opportunity Wiki
Before getting started, we'd like you to understand the various elements of the wiki by going through this explainer blog.
We also highly recommend that you go through some of our best wiki pages to understand what a good page would really look like:
Learning Basic Wiki Editing
Wiki editing is no rocket science. There are only a few basic formats we use more often and once you familiarise with these, you're good to get started.
Click here to view the full Cheat Sheet
|Description||You type||You get|
|Italics, bold, and both||''italics'', '''bold''', and '''''both'''''||italics, bold, and both|
|Link and name a website||[http://www.wikipedia.org Wikipedia]||Wikipedia|
| Section headings
A Table of Contents will automatically be generated when four headings are added to an article
| Display an image
To upload an image, see the intro to uploading images
There are two good toold available to create tables for our wiki:
- Table Generator
- This is an independent website. You can create a simple table or import a .csv file and format it using the tools available and then generate the wiki code for the table you just created.
- WikiTableWorks Add-on for Google Sheets
- This is a google sheets add-on that lets you create wiki table format for your table in a giffy. However, do note that this add-on lacks features to format your table unlike the Tables Generator website.
Creating the Wiki Page
If you search for a page that doesn't exist (using the search box and "Go" button on the left of the page) then you will be provided with a link to create the new page.
However, do take care to use the same format for the Page title when searching as you would like it to finally appear.
Adding content to your Wiki Page
Now that you have created the wiki page, you need to add content to it. Here is a google doc with sample wiki content. We suggest you change the text in this document to suit the opportunity wiki you are creating and then publish it in your wiki page.
While adding in content to your wiki page, please ensure that you publish only information as in the Official Program Website of the Opportunity. The source of the information is as important as the information itself and it is crucial that you pick up information from a reliable source.
If you have taken up the responsibility to create the wiki page for a particular opportunity, you may have to create the application resources for the opportunity in addition to the wiki itself. These resources may include an application walkthrough, checklist and copy of the application form. If you do create these resources, be sure to extend edit access to v@r also as well.
- The Application Walkthrough is usually a short video explainer of the application. This can be created as a Youtube video(live or otherwise). You may use your own YouTube channel to create the video and then add the link to the wiki.
- The Application Checklist is a very crude checklist of items you need to tick off to submit a successful application. Its primary purpose is to ensure that students don't miss out on anything. You may use Checkli or Google Docs to create the checklist.
- Creating a Copy of the Application Form works best with Google Forms. The form should be an exact replica of the original application form along with a disclaimer at the beginning. You may use the disclaimer as in this copy of the GHCI application form.
- If in addition to creating the wiki, if you are also looking at Interviewing Previous Winners, here's the handbook you can refer to.
Our wiki is a MediaWiki. If you encounter any technical roadblocks and wish to understand more about how you can fix it for a media wiki, we suggest you first google the issue.
But in case you need our help, you can write to us at email@example.com